Monday, October 19, 2009

1,502 Pages Huh?

Well, it's not fair to compare pages, so I did a quick analysis based on a sample of pages taken from the legislation (which is 2.25MB in PDF format with no images). In that sample, I found the average number of words per page to be 207 words and that was after I removed line numbers, header numbers and the header tag containing the file name.

Once I got the average, I multiplied that times the number of pages and came up with 310,313 words. This is approximately how many words are contained in the document. Here are some novels for comparison:

War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy = ~560,000 words (English translation)
Les Miserables, Victor Hugo = ~513,000 words (French Original)
Bible, New Testament = 138,020 (New Greek Edition)
Koran = ~80,000

No comments:

Post a Comment