Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Now on Pandora

My Alt Country station is playing Jay Farrar and out comes this verbal nugget:

It’s been said before,
But it’s worth saying,
No one could dream a place like California

(California from Terroir Blues by Jay Farrar)

Which leads me to this question - how many songs have the name "California" in them? I must have at least 2 dozen in my own MP3 Collection. Off the top of my head:

California Stars - Wilco and Billy Bragg
California Girls - Beach Boys
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
California Dreaming - The Mamas and the Papas
Goin Back to Cali - LL Cool J
California Love - Dr Dre and Tupac
California - Rufus Wainwright
California - Phantom Planet

Which state has the most songs written about it? I'm going to bet it's between California and Texas with Texas taking the edge - just because "Texas Country" is an entire sub-genre of the broader country music industry.


UPDATE: Man, I love Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_about_California

But it doesn't have the same list about Texas. Google sent me here:

http://www.listology.com/list/songs-about-texas-andor-its-cities

And how could I have forgotten "Hotel California"?

No comments:

Post a Comment