Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Hard Day's Night

Just finished watching A Hard Day's Night last night - it's taken me a few days to get through. I find myself doing more and more of that as I can steal snippets of time to watch parts of a film or show. It definitely impinges on the overall aesthetic value of the film but, with the time I have, that's the best I can do. Anyway, onto the film - I just had finished Can't Buy Me Love by Jonathan Gould and so decided to set the DVR to suck up as much Beatles stuff as it could. Of course A Hard Day's Night (which I believe was a Ringoism) was the best and the first of their handful of films. Made in 1964 at the height of the global crazed-girl-screaming phenomenon, it's a window into the frenetic days of Beatlemania. I was shocked at how quick and subersive the dialogue was. I have to go back and check sources on the internet to confirm what I heard what I thought I heard but it seemed that there were at least a handful of jokey homosexual references in there, not something the people of 2009 would expect to hear from a film made 45 years ago. Anyway, I leave you with the face only Mrs. Starkey could love:


No comments:

Post a Comment